Monday, April 4, 2011

Pakora Thongba

Pakora Thongba
If someone writes a book on Manipuri Cuisine esp. on the Meitei Cuisine,one will end up with volumes of  healthy & yummy vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dish. Pakora Thongba is a popular  vegetarian Meitei Dish prepared during "Ousop" (Community Feasting/Grand Feasting) and also made popular by local hotels. Pakora Thongba with mangan atouba is one of the perfect afternoon snacks. 

We normally do not make this dish at home, mainly because its not easy too cook and takes time...so in short one needs to be very patient and make the pakora very carefully...coz its the shape which makes all the difference. I wanted to attempt cooking this dish since long and finally succeeded last month and all thanks to youtube I saw this video of making Pakora Thongba, uploaded by a Manipuri  guy based in UK. This person had explained the whole process in the video (video below) and must say he sure must be quite a foodie....so with all the ingredients and the video I made my first ever attempt  and bingo....except for the shape of the Pakora the final dish was mind blowing.

( While trying to recreate the dish last week, I realized the Youtube video is not available for public view anymore, which I feel is rather sad but to me rescue my fren Dr. AN is always there. I followed her instruction and made Pakora thongba but still could not manage to make that Pakora shape, the taste was authentic though. I will try and make the dish again and upload the recipe with pictures soon)

No comments:

About my blog

Search This Blog