Saturday, February 11, 2012

Winter update- Frozen lake and canals

Experiencing sub-zero temperature for almost 2 weeks is  not a pleasant experience but to see snow fall in real for the first time in my life, frozen canals and lakes and to walk on it is definitely and truly an amazing experience. I had an eventful day today, it started with a visit to Floraholland this morning...or rather very,very early morning, located at Aalsmeer it's world's largest flower auction cooperative with a turnover of 4 bn Euro. We went there to see how the flower auction happens and understand the value chain as part of one of my optional course with the LDS dept.

We had to leave really early to be able to see the auction and we were on time at  the Hague central station but damn 2 trains to Schipol were cancelled and we had to wait for almost an hour in the freezing temp. which was really annoying....Dutch winter ahhhhh m so not liking it.The route to Floraholland was via Schipol and this morning once we were out of the Schipol airport to take the bus, all of us almost froze, it was much colder than Hague and we were literally  foot tapping while waiting for the bus, it was so cold that I hated the LDS class for keeping the study visit during such miserable weather and at 7 am it was super duper cold. The visit was interesting and I did enjoyed touring it again as I had been there with my ARD class too.

On our way back from Alasmeer, I saw the famous canals of Amsterdam completely frozen and it was a site to watch, all the jetty's and boat were lying  still and the very busy & bustling canals  were not busy at all. I took some pictures and we rushed back to Hague. Once we reached Hague we decided to walk instead of taking the bus and the Lake next to Binnenhof was on our way, which is completely frozen we decided to walk inside the lake and take pics. It was really cold but inside the lake it felt even more colder....so many people were skating and I only wished to have known how to skate. We took some pics but as the temperature further dipped we came out of the lake.  My first winter in The Netherlands has been quite fun...I saw snow, frozen canals, lakes and the snow making the city beautiful first and than ugly  as it refuses to melt and turns into slug, mud and dirt.

The Frozen canals @ Amsterdam

The frozen lake next to Binnenhof @ The Hague

People skating and enjoying in the frozen lake...

No comments:

About my blog

Search This Blog