Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One Chillie....many names

Oo- Morok or Raja Mirchi or Bhut Jalokia or Capsicum chinense
Worlds Hottest Chillie (ex now)

Chilles are a very integral part of Manipuri Cuisine, Eromba will not be the same without chillies and if its prepared with Oo-Morok phir toh khane ka mazza kuch aur he hai. Imagine Kangsoi without chillies or Lafuu Tharo Paknam without any chillie...oh I can't even imagine that for it will not taste like Kangsoi or my fav. Paknam. Oo- Morok no doubt is or now was worlds hottest chillie it measures 1,041,427 on the Scoville Scale ( Scoville units are the measures that grade the hotness of a Chilli.) our fav. Ou-Morok is dethroned by the Infinity Chilli recently and it measures 1,067,286 on the Scoville Scale. 

Manipuri's love Oo-Morok, it adds flavor to any dish esp. Eromba and I feel it tastes best with Oo-Morok. Yongchak- Aloo Eromba with Oo-Morok...yummyyyyy....or Yongchak Singju with Oo-Morok ahhhhh. In Manipur Oo-Morok is mostly grown in Hilly Districts, when my dad was posted at Tameilong I remember dad getting fresh Oo-Morok during the season and the dried one during off season. Recently one of my frens in-laws sent her a Kilo of dried  Oo-Morok and I was just thinking the damage it'll do to the poor stomachs but also the mouth watering dish she and her husband will be having everyday.

No comments:

About my blog

Search This Blog